If you’re planning a trip to the beautiful island of Phu Quoc in Vietnam, one of the most important things to consider is your travel arrangements. This includes figuring out which airport to fly into and what transportation options are available. In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know about Phu Quoc Airport – from its history to its current state, transportation options, and more.
Table of Contents
What is Phu Quoc Airport?
Phu Quoc Airport, also known as Phu Quoc International Airport (PQC), is an airport located on Phu Quoc Island in Vietnam. It is the only international airport on the island and serves as a hub for both domestic and international flights.
The airport was first built in the 1930s during French colonial rule, but it wasn’t until the early 2000s that it underwent significant upgrades to become the modern facility it is today.
When Was Phu Quoc Airport Opened?
The airport’s history dates back to the 1930s when the French colonizers built a small airstrip on the island. However, it wasn’t until 2012 that the airport officially opened as Phu Quoc International Airport (PQC) after undergoing significant upgrades to accommodate larger aircraft and increasing passenger traffic.
How to Get to Phu Quoc Airport?
There are several transportation options available to get to Phu Quoc Airport. Here are some of the most popular:
- Taxi: Taxis are readily available throughout Phu Quoc Island and can take you directly to the airport. You can either hail a taxi on the street or book one through a ride-hailing app like Grab.
- Shuttle bus: Many hotels and resorts on Phu Quoc Island offer shuttle bus services to and from the airport for their guests. Check with your hotel to see if they offer this service.
- Private car: If you prefer a more luxurious and hassle-free option, you can book a private car transfer to take you directly to the airport.
Pros and Cons of Phu Quoc Airport
Like any airport, there are pros and cons to flying into Phu Quoc International Airport. Here are some of the most significant advantages and disadvantages:
- Convenient location: The airport is located on Phu Quoc Island, making it easy to get to many popular tourist destinations on the island.
- Modern facilities: Phu Quoc Airport underwent significant upgrades in recent years, resulting in modern and well-maintained facilities.
- International flights: As the only international airport on the island, Phu Quoc Airport offers direct flights from several countries, including Singapore, Malaysia, and Thailand.
- Limited capacity: The airport’s relatively small size means that it can quickly become overcrowded during peak tourist season.
- High prices: Due to limited competition, flights to and from Phu Quoc Airport can be significantly more expensive than other airports in Vietnam.
- Weather-related delays: The airport is prone to weather-related delays and cancellations, especially during typhoon season.
Alternative Airports Near Phu Quoc
While Phu Quoc International Airport is the most convenient option for flying into the island, there are several alternative airports nearby that you can consider:
- Tan Son Nhat International Airport (SGN): Located in Ho Chi Minh City, Tan Son Nhat International Airport is the largest airport in southern Vietnam and serves as a major hub for both domestic and international flights. From here, you can catch a connecting flight to Phu Quoc or take a bus or taxi to the coast and board a ferry to the island.
- Can Tho International Airport (VCA): Located in the nearby city of Can Tho, Can Tho International Airport is a smaller airport that offers limited domestic flights. From here, you can catch a connecting flight to Phu Quoc or take a bus or taxi to the coast and board a ferry to the island.
Step-by-Step Guide to Flying into Phu Quoc Airport
Here’s a step-by-step guide to flying into and out of Phu Quoc International Airport:
- Book your flight: Use a travel aggregator website to find the best deals on flights to Phu Quoc.
- Plan your transportation: Determine how you will get from the airport to your final destination, whether it is by taxi, shuttle bus, or private car transfer.
- Check baggage restrictions: Make sure you are aware of baggage restrictions before you pack for your trip.
- Arrive at the airport early: Give yourself plenty of time to check in, clear security, and navigate the terminal.
- Board your flight: Follow the instructions of airport staff and board your flight when called.
- Claim your baggage: Once you arrive at the airport, claim your baggage from the baggage claim area.
- Exit the airport: Follow signs to exit the airport and head to your transportation option to continue your journey on Phu Quoc Island.
Q1: What airlines fly to Phu Quoc Airport?
A1: Several airlines fly to Phu Quoc International Airport, including AirAsia, VietJet Air, Vietnam Airlines, and Jetstar Pacific.
Q2: Is there free Wi-Fi at Phu Quoc Airport?
A2: Yes, there is free Wi-Fi available throughout the airport terminal.
Q3: How far is Phu Quoc Airport from the city center?
A3: Phu Quoc Airport is located approximately 10 kilometers south of Duong Dong, the main city center on the island.
Q4: Can I rent a car at Phu Quoc Airport?
A4: Yes, several car rental companies operate at the airport, including Hertz, Avis, and Budget.
Q5: Is there a lounge at Phu Quoc Airport?
A5: Yes, there are several lounges available for passengers to use at Phu Quoc Airport, including the Orchid Lounge and the Golden Lotus Lounge.
Phu Quoc Airport is the main gateway into this beautiful island in Vietnam. Whether you’re traveling domestically or internationally, flying into Phu Quoc Airport is a convenient and efficient way to reach your destination. While the airport has its pros and cons, with proper planning and preparation, you can have a smooth and enjoyable travel experience. We hope this guide has been helpful in answering any questions you may have had about Phu Quoc Airport.